Questions to Ask During Your Retirement Community Tour
Maybe you’ve decided you want to move into a retirement community or maybe you’re still deciding whether community life is right for you. Regardless, it’s key that you include a community tour on your list when evaluating your retirement choices.
Why is touring a senior living community so important? And what questions should you have prepared ahead of your upcoming retirement community tour? Let’s dive right in.
Why Touring a Retirement Community Is Important
Most of us wouldn’t buy a home without visiting it at least once, if not multiple times. The same applies when you’re determining if a retirement community is right for you.
At Friendship Village of Bloomington, a Life Care community in Bloomington, Minnesota, we’re proud of the services and amenities we offer residents. Our team members get excited when talking about the exceptional level of care we provide to those who choose to live here. And we love to show prospective residents around our community.
As this is a major life decision, your goal when touring a senior living community should be to get as complete of a picture as possible about what life will be like there. Before you begin, the first thing to ask yourself is how important it is that your care needs are met within the community even if your care needs change.
For instance, at Friendship Village of Bloomington, we offer a full continuum of care. Many people schedule a tour to see our independent living spaces, but they also want to know more about our on-site health services.
What to Ask When Touring a Retirement Community
We recommend tailoring some of the questions below to your tastes and specific needs and using these as a starting point when taking your retirement community tour. Some of the most important questions will be related to living spaces, services and amenities and health and wellness considerations.
Questions to Ask About Living Spaces
Your comfort and security are key to choosing the right retirement community.
- Does the residence I’m touring have a floor plan that I am seeking?
- Are living spaces furnished? Can I customize my space at all?
- What happens if I encounter a maintenance issue in my home?
- What’s your pet policy in your independent living spaces?
- Who handles landscaping outside of my home? Is that my responsibility?
- Who handles things like snow and ice removal during winter months?
- How do you ensure the security and safety of your residents?
Questions to Ask About Wellness Offerings
We all want to live a physically, emotionally and spiritually fulfilling life. Consider how these communities will help you achieve your goals.
- What on-site fitness and wellness options do you offer?
- Do you offer programs that support mental and spiritual wellness?
- Is there professional support available to help me develop a wellness plan?
- Do you offer group fitness classes for residents? How often do these meet?
- What sort of outdoor exercise options are available to residents?
- Are there any parks or trail systems nearby?
Questions to Ask About Health Services
Our care needs can change over time. One of the benefits of community living for many older adults is the access to additional assistance and on-site health services.
- What does it mean to be a continuing care retirement community?
- Does my monthly fee include access to on-site health services?
- Do you offer on-site medical care in the event of an emergency?
- What happens if I need to visit a hospital or other off-site care?
- How does your community compare to others in the area?
Questions to Ask About Services & Amenities
How do you want to spend your retirement? Ensure that the community offers the services and amenities that matter most to you.
- What are some of your favorite services you offer at this community?
- What are some of your favorite amenities you offer at this community?
- Are there any restrictions in place on when I can use certain amenities?
- How often do you discontinue services and amenities or add new ones?
Questions to Ask About Dining Options
Excellent dining experiences are both nourishing and satisfying. Explore the types of dining options you have access to on-site.
- Are any on-site meals included in my monthly fee? If so, how many?
- Do all your dining venues cater to individual dietary preferences or needs?
- Are there opportunities for group dining in your restaurant spaces?
- Can I sample a meal at one of your dining venues while on this tour?
General Questions to Ask About a Retirement Community
If you expect to host guests or need access to transportation, don’t forget to ask these questions.
- Do all residents have access to transportation to off-site locations?
- How often is transportation available? Do I have to arrange it ahead of time?
- What is your policy on bringing outside guests into the community?
We encourage you to incorporate these questions into your own list ahead of your tour.
Schedule a Tour at Friendship Village of Bloomington
Friendship Village of Bloomington promises a refined senior living experience infused with warm Midwestern charm. Our campus is located in Bloomington, Minnesota, near restaurants, shopping destinations, trails, gardens and green spaces. And we’re only a short drive away from Minneapolis.
The best way to experience all that Friendship Village of Bloomington has to offer is to schedule a tour and see it for yourself. Contact us to take the first step toward finding your new home.